You can now donate to us online at Canadahelps.org. You will get a donation receipt immediately.
The North West Animal Shelter Society receives no government or tax dollars - our services are possible only because of the generosity of people like you, who care.
A tax receipt will be issued for all monetary donations and donations in kind. If you wish your donation to be used in a certain way, please specify:
- Shelter fund
- Spay/Neuter Fund (SNAP)
- Rescue: vet checks, vaccinations, deworming, travel etc.
- General Operating Fund
Contact The Northwest Animal Shelter Society
Box 3064, Smithers, BC V0J 2N0
If you live in the Bulkley Valley, monetary donations can be made at any BV Credit Union. Just ask the teller to deposit directly into our account, and provide your contact information is desired. Thank you.
Gifts of cash
Gifts of appreciated property
- Real estate
- Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.
- Coin collections
Planned gifts: Wills or bequests - this is the most common type of planned giving. Wills ensure your estate will be dispersed in the manner you desire.
Life income gifts:
- life insurance
- property with a retained life interest.
Donations in kind:
Make a donation of food, supplies and other items that we need to help the animals, either directly or indirectly. These include:
- Cat and dog food, both dried and canned, unopened.
- Clean towels, blankets, sleeping bags, cat/dog beds, heating pads, crates, collars, leads, scratching posts and boards, toys.
- Cleaning supplies, paper towel, bleach, laundry detergent, etc
- Items we can sell at garage sales, or use as raffle prizes.
- Large items in good condition (such as furniture) that we can photograph and sell on this website.
- We can provide a tax receipt for major donations in kind, provided a "market value" can be established for the goods and/or services being donated.
Contact email@example.com to discuss our current needs, and to arrange delivery or pickup of donations in kind.
The Northwest Animal Shelter Society has donation boxes in a variety of businesses around Smithers and area. The money collected from these boxes will go directly to help animals. Please give generously!
Donations are not only about money. You can do an important part by informing others about the plight of animals. Letters written to the editor of a local newspaper, calls to a radio talk show, or material passed out at a dog show, club meeting, or other event, are all excellent ways to spread the word. Individuals or groups might wish to donate books on animal protection, wildlife or pet care to a local library or school and ask that it hold an animal week, featuring a display or promotion of these books.
Encourage responsible pet ownership by setting a good example. Make sure your pet is spayed or neutered, wears a collar with proper identification attached to it, is routinely vaccinated, regularly exercised, fed a balanced diet, and adequately sheltered. Never let your pet run loose unsupervised. If, for some reason, you are unable to keep an animal, either find him/her a good home or take him/her to a no-kill animal rescue association or league through which he/she can be made available to a loving home. NEVER abandon an animal, for it will probably not survive and will only add to the already monumental problem of pet overpopulation.
Special Thank you's to the following:
- Babine Animal Hospital
- Vet to Pet Mobile Veterinary Services
- Small Blessings Veterinary Services
- Dog Digs
- Hudson Bay Lodge
- Central Mountain Air for all the wonderful things you do to help us transport so many wonderful animals.
- Bulkley Valley Credit Union for your constant support
- Bulkley Valley Insurance
- Castle Building Supplies in Telkwa
- Smithers Feed Store
- Total Pet
- All-West Glass
- Royal Bank
- The Interior News
- Town of Smithers
- All the local businesses who host our donation boxes in town!