Northwest Animal Shelter
The Northwest Animal Shelter is a registered charity dedicated to improving the welfare of companion animals in north central British Columbia, serving the area from Houston to Kitwanga. Founded in 2001, our initial focus was on fundraising to build an animal shelter in the Smithers area. We soon became a foster home based society, and, after realizing that there were not enough homes for all the abandoned and abused animals, we started a low income spay neuter program. With the participation of our local veterinarians, more than 2,500 cats and dogs have been altered under this program. In 2012, we purchased property and with the help of volunteers, constructed a modest shelter and purchased an atco trailer. Since then, hundreds of animals have found their fur-ever homes.
We rely on caring volunteers who donate their time, and on the generosity of the community we serve for funding. Without your support we could not operate!
What we do:
- We work with the Town of Smithers to rehome their unclaimed impounded dogs.
- We rescue at risk dogs and cats.
- We adopt rescue dogs and cats both locally and throughout BC. We strive to get the best fit for the animal and the adoptive family. All animals are vetted and assessed before adoption.
- We offer spay and neutering assistance program ( to those who would otherwise not be able to afford the full cost).
- We raise to make sure our programs are funded. We spend thousands of dollars annually on veterinary services, for the animals in our care and the SNAP program.
- We provide outreach to the community by visiting schools and providing education about animal welfare.
- We have formed relationships with outside rescue groups who post available animals on their web sites, and/or take them into their programs, or connect us directly to adoptive families.
- We help to assess, exercise, train, and bathe rescued dogs, to ensure they are ready for adoption!
How you can help:
If you can help out in some small way, please e-mail email@example.com
We are sorry but we do not have a dedicated phone number at this time.
If you would like to make a donation to assist us with our goals, it can be made at any
Bulkley Valley Credit Union, deposited directly into the account of the
North West Animal Shelter Society, through Canada Helps or by mail.